Are TFS Fabrics Environmentally friendly?
Going Green with TFS Fabrics:
The carbon footprint for TFS graphics is extremely low compared with other traditional display materials: They use less raw material, weigh less and pack down better for easy, low-cost transport, they are 100% PET so totally PVC and Phthalate free are recyclable. This may be enough to satisfy the green box tickers but those who really care will need to know more so they can decide how green a product is. We believe that our TFS fabrics are probably some of the most eco friendly products on the market, here’s why:
Recycling of polyester and plastic is technically still in its infancy and costs money. There are several ways to reprocess a product to label it ‘recycled’ but that does not automatically make it more environmentally friendly.
For example, products made in the “Far East” will generally have a much higher carbon footprint than those made in Europe. This is due to longer transport routes and much lower levels of energy and environmental controls being made throughout the whole supply chain.
It is also important to question what products are recycled from and how they are recycled. For example, fabric yarns can be made from by-products of other manufacturing processes which would normally be reused anyway but by diverting them into yarn manufacturing they can be labelled as ‘recycled’. More ecologically conscious recycled PET’s are those made from product that are either ocean bound or ocean waste however these are considerably more expensive and therefore it is not realistic to expect truly environmentally friendly recycled products to be available without a premium being paid.
Although we are slowly introducing recycled yarns into our fabrics, we are doing this with our eyes open, by mixing recycled and raw yarns to keep costs down and by supporting new technical manufacturing processes that use knit patterns that are denser but result in lighter weight and therefore use less yarn. These processes are slower and come at a slight premium but are without question more environmentally friendly.
As a commitment to sustainability, we choose to use Dye Sub TFS printable fabrics that are manufactured in Germany in a factory that focuses on using the highest possible environmental standards with a Going Green Initiative that includes using industry and world leading technology and processes committed to minimising carbon footprint. Our decision to use a European manufacturer comes with additional assurances that they are produced under European legislation and from a fully validated source.
Going Green Initiative:
- Source of raw materials from countries with high ecological and social standards, primarily within the EU
- 85% off all PES-yarns are produced in the EU
- Preferred purchase of biodegradable auxiliaries
- Priority on ISO 14001 certified suppliers
- Short delivery routes (CO2 footprint)
- World leading state of the art knitting and finishing-plant
- Continuously monitor production and usage of resources
- Very low wastage rates due to automated error monitoring and correction
- Optimization of production processes for lowest environmental impact and highest energy efficiency
- Regular auditing with certification according to ISO 9001, ISO 50002
- Continuous exhaust air and wastewater monitoring
- Compliant with International Labour Standards including No. 182 (Child-labour)
- Halogen-free finishing and coating line (already meeting future standards)
- 100% of production (warp knitting, finishing and coating) takes place in Germany
- Textiles for digital printing are made from recyclable polyester yarns
- Acetate and viscose articles, sourced from renewable raw materials
- 100% PVC-free
- All textiles are REACH compliant and certified according to Ökotex Class I (Baby) or Class II (skin contact)
- Operate using certified energy efficiency processes to EN16247-1 / ISO 50002
- Use of high efficiency heat exchanger systems in finishing plant (energy recovery of 45%)
- Up to 60% of electricity produced by own photovoltaic plant (2459 Kw/p installed capacity) which is equivalent to the consumption of 800 households
- CO2 savings of 2,282 to/pa (equivalent to a distance of approx. 15,737.931km for cars)
- Usage of post-consumer PET (EU-origin-only, collection within 150 km of recycling plant)
- CO2 compensation by supporting afforestation projects with PLANT-MY-TREE®
- post-consumer recycled yarn certified according to GLOBAL RECYCLED STANDARD (GRS) – Version 4.0:2017
- Recycling of production waste
- Non-recyclable waste is fed into Energy from Waste
- Zero landfill waste
Get in touch
If you’re looking for a new graphics supplier or interested in more information, get in touch. Call us on 01280 707 180 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like what you see? Please share...
View our other new items
Talk to us today
If you have any questions about our graphic services or printed products, please complete the contact form or call us on the number below and we’ll be happy to assist you.